Using tap water to make baby formula may not be a wise decision given the possible contaminants that can exist in tap water nowadays. In case you are a parent, please read this short article in its entirety. I have some valuable information to express. Are you mindful of just how vulnerable your infant is?
1. Microbial Threats – In the spring of 1993 a microscopic parasite called Cryptosporidium parvum was responsible for over 100 deaths in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It arrived through the city’s water supply just because a water treatment plant neglected to filter it out. Nowadays stricter regulations help to make sure that our drinking water is monitored and treated efficiently before winding up at our taps.
However we should not relax since there still are many waterborne bacteria that still cause illnesses. The list includes nontyphoid Salmonella, pathogenic Escherichia coli and Legionella. Each one is still very active, Legionella grows vigorously in tepid to warm water, including in a shower where it can be inhaled through the steam.
2. Lead – Probably the most feared of all the contaminants because of the damage it can cause towards the brain. A newly released sampling of tap water in Washington D.C. exposed lead levels five times the EPA standard. The lead is most likely to come out of your own household plumbing. This can happen in case your house has lead pipes, or copper pipes soldered with lead and it also depends on the age of your property.
Actually the EPA recommend that you just use cold water for cooking, drinking especially for producing baby formula. This is because your hot water is probably to contain higher concentrations of lead. You might be in the greatest risk from the being exposed to lead if you are a young child or in case you are pregnant
3. Chlorinated Solvents – Do you use any of the following, drain cleaners, shoe polish, waxes, oven cleaners? These contain chlorinated solvents, they fit in with a chemical family that is certainly widely used in household and industrial processes. In 2006 samples of drinking water in twelve states were examined and ten percent were contaminated with chlorinated solvents.
4. Chemical Contaminants – Over time we have produced many synthetic organic chemicals like antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides to list but a couple of. A number of these find their distance to our water supplies through various means, whether from illegal dumping of waste material or through the action of rain water. Once these end up in our h2o they posses an extremely real threat to the health.
When they do result in our water supply, based on the authorities they are at “such a low concentration they usually do not pose any adverse health risk to consumers.” It appears very comforting, however I would personally ask have you thought about the long term exposure to these low concentrations? A small level of pollutant probably would not affect an adult, but what can it do in order to a child?
5. Chlorine – Chlorine has been used in our water supply for approximately 100 decades. It is still an invaluable and effective disinfectant, and it also keeps working completely as much as your tap. However chlorine has an Achilles heel, water naturally contains organic matter and when this comes into exposure to chlorine the effect is disinfection by-products. These by-products can affect the fitness of your nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Your baby is extremely susceptible to anyone these contaminants so it’s smart to stop using tap water to help make baby formula today. What you should do is obtain an effective water purifier. May I suggest a mix of ixoqvx carbon filters, ion exchange, and sub micron filtration. This will help remove of nearly all the contaminants contained in water. When possible, get a whole house water system and make sure you make use of purified water for all your baby’s needs. This way, you can ensure your baby stays safe and healthy.